A legendary city, one of the first and most sophisticated civilizations ever developed in the Mediterranean Sea. The countless stories, the myths, the historic facts that accompany the city of Knossos are so many and utterly intriguing. What remains absolutely untouched by time in Knossos and the Minoan Civilization is the beauty and the eternal charm of the site; beauty as revealed in the frescoes and the paintings found in Knossos. Today we will give you some hints and tips for the history plus some info for the today’s visitors. We will give 12+1 facts to make you feel like a visit in Knossos in Crete must be a top thing to do in your activities list on the island.
· The Minoan Palace of Knossos covers an area of 20.000 square meters.
· The myth of King Minos building the Labyrinth for his son, half bull- half man, and Thiseas, a Greek hero from Athens coming to kill him with the help of King’s daughter Ariadne is probably the most famous myth related to the Knossos.
· The site of Knossos was discovered in 1878 by Minos Kalokairinos. The excavations though began in early 1900 lead by the English archaeologist Sir Arthur Evans. The excavations lasted for 35 years.
· The most famous point in the Palace is the Throne Room.
· One of the most elegant frescoes is the Prince of Lillies.
· The Palace of Knossos was the political and religious centre of the Minoan Civilization as they never found evidence of fortification or weapons made for war.
· At its peak, it is believed that the city surrounding the palace had 100,000 inhabitants.
· There is no historic testimony about the origin of Minoans. Some believe that they came from Africa or the Middle East.
· The Palace was built between 1700 and 1400 BC.
· The Knossos Palace and the city features one of the most sophisticated water management systems discovered.
· The Minoan columns of the Palace resemble no other column style found in Greece.
· The beautiful frescoes, pots and other findings from the site are in the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion.
· The city’s destruction by the volcanic eruption in Santorini is strongly believed but not completely and scientifically proved.
Knossos visitors tip by Galaxy Hotel Iraklio: Let us arrange all the details for your visit in the archaeological site of Knossos, transportation, guide and a visit to the related to the site museums for a complete experience to one of world’s most beautiful ancient cities, where charms and beauty had never been vanished!